The National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) is expected to advise the Cabinet to close all schools in the country for three weeks.
This was told by sources who attended a meeting chaired by the Deputy Minister of Basic Education, Reginah Mhaule on Wednesday night.
Motshekga is expected to relay this to the Cabinet on Thursday before an announcement is made. That is, the matter will be finalised on thursday.
“What prevails now is three weeks on the table,” a source reportedly said.
According to the country’s two largest teachers’ unions – the South African Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) and the National Professional Teachers’ Organisation of South Africa (Naptosa), the wait for the Cabinet’s decision to announce the closure of the school or not is causing unease among teachers and pupils.
Sadtu and Naptosa, along with other unions, met with Motshekga last week to find a way forward for schools during this pandemic period.
Following their discussion, Motshekga took their representations to the NCCC and the Cabinet.
Sadtu general secretary Mugwena Maluleke said the unions were informed that Motshekga was still in meetings with Cabinet on Monday and Tuesday and they are waiting for a response from them.
The post Cabinet to be told to close schools for 3 weeks appeared first on .