The Cape Town leg of the World Rugby Seven Series which was provisionally scheduled for 4-6 December this year has been cancelled due to the ongoing and dynamic global nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, World Rugby announced on Wednesday.
The Dubai leg of the Series – with which the Cape Town event is paired – has also been cancelled. The events were due to be the first two legs on the ten-tournament 2020/2021 Woeld Rugby Sevens Series.
World Rugby, its partners, SA Rugby and the Dubai organisers undertook a comprehensive consultation process and constructive dialogue to reach the conclusion.
The decisions were taken in line with relevant government and international public health authority advice and with the health and well-being of the rugby community and the wider public taking precedence. Cape Town and Dubai are due to return to a full Series schedule in 2021.
Jurie Roux, SA Rugby CEO said:
“This is a very disappointing development but far from unexpected,” said Jurie Roux, SA Rugby CEO.
The Cape Town Sevens is a highly complex, international event that involves 28 men’s and women’s teams travelling from all the corners of the globe and considering the progress of the pandemic, both here and around the world, the prospects of being able to deliver our normal spectacular were extremely slim.
The opening of air borders remains uncertain; the requirements of quarantining and the need for preparation time for teams really left us no choice. And even if we had been able to fly in 28 teams the likelihood is that we would have had to play behind closed doors, which held little appeal considering the unique nature of the event.
Over and above all of that, the health of players and fans was of paramount importance and with the current uncertainties in that regard all parties agreed on the need to cancel this year’s event.”
The post What a disappointment, as Cape Town Sevens cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic appeared first on .